All Types Harness for Dogs
When an animal appears in an apartment, there are many worries about arranging a comfortable existence for a pet. This is the purchase of a bed, bowls for water and food, toys, as well as an integral attribute - a leash or a variety of it - harnesses for dogs. It is chosen based not only on the size and age of the pet, but also on the role assigned to it. For example, a harness for a guide dog will be radically different from a similar accessory for a security guard.
General requirements for harnesses
The first harnesses appeared in connection with the need to transport goods using dogs. In the classical sense, these are 2 belts that have connections along the spine along the back and in front between the dog's paws. Thanks to this design, there is an optimal distribution of weight between the chest and the forelegs of the pet. Due to the complete absence of pressure in the neck area, it provides maximum comfort and a feeling of freedom for the dog. The belts are fixed in such a way that the owner's palm passes between the back and the harness, but it should not dangle too much.
For dwarf breeds, the recommended start of wearing an accessory is after six months, for the rest - from 10-11 months of age. The danger is that when walking in dog harness, deformation of the forelimbs with eversion of the elbows can occur. This occurs when the harness strap passes through the puppy's armpits. Changes in the joints of the paws are formed very quickly - in about 3 weeks of constant wear.
When choosing a harness for your pet, it is important to prepare in advance.
- Back length - the distance from the collar to the beginning of the pet's tail.
- Chest circumference - measured at the widest possible point along the ribs. Add 2 cm to the results obtained, and 1 cm for sofa dogs.
- Neck circumference - at the place where the collar is worn.
In modern pet stores, a wide selection of harnesses made from all kinds of materials is provided: nylon, leather, tarpaulin, velor, various fabrics, etc.
How to choose a harness
Harnesses are used for different purposes and are selected individually for each pet, taking into account not only the size of the dog itself, but also the characteristics of the accessory. The main requirements that you need to pay attention to when buying are:
- Materials used in the manufacture of harnesses. This issue should be taken seriously, since not all manufacturers take it responsibly, and this can lead to the fact that the accessory breaks at the most inopportune moment. It is preferable to buy from materials that are durable, soft and resistant to abrasion. For example, nylon, neoprene or leather. It is important that the harness is easily washed from all kinds of dirt that will appear on it during walks. Before purchasing, it is worth studying the information available on this issue in order to come to the store prepared. It is important to take into account the size of the pet when choosing ammunition from one material or another. So for dwarf breeds it is better to stay on light fabric, and for large breeds - on leather.
- Clasps. They should be strong, but easy to button and unfasten. The most convenient options are with multiple mounts. This will not only keep the dog from jumping out of the harness, but will also be as comfortable as possible for the pet, since you can adjust the size in several places.
- Adherence to the body of the animal. The harness should sit on the pet in such a way that it does not move to the sides during movement, but it is not necessary to tighten the straps too much. This will lead to discomfort, and can also damage the joints, and in places of friction, wool will begin to fall out and scuffs and calluses will form.
Small breed dog harnesses
Most miniature dogs are extremely mobile and have sharp small teeth. This should be taken into account when choosing a harness. It should be made of lightweight, but at the same time durable material. For example, from modern or artificial materials. Accessories made of tarpaulin are practically weightless, they can be washed without much effort, but they can also be easily torn by a dog's teeth. The clasp (carabiner) should also be strong, but not heavy.
For dwarf breeds, the following accessory options are best:
Walking. It consists of several connected belts made of light and durable fabric with several fasteners that adjust the volume. There is a variant of such a harness with a handle. It is convenient in situations when it is necessary to urgently pick up a pet in your arms, transfer it through a puddle or other obstacle that is insurmountable for him.
Soft. It is made from velor or any similar soft material. Suitable for toy terriers, Pekingese, Spitz, etc.
Leather. Lightened from thin stripes, in stores it is presented in various options and bright colors, decorated with decorative elements and even rhinestones.
Vest. It is not only comfortable for babies to wear, but will also provide additional warmth. Consists of cloths covering the back and chest of the pet, and some have a layer of fur and other insulating materials. This model is suitable for breeds: Chinese Crested, Chihuahua, English Bulldog, Pug, Yorkshire Terrier, etc.
For dwarf pets, many manufacturers produce harnesses of various colors with all kinds of decorations.
Harnesses for dogs of medium breeds
A wide range of harnesses is also available for small dog breeds. These animals include the following breeds: American Bulldog, Australian Shepherd, American Pit Bull Terrier, Basset Hound, etc.
The most popular are:
- Walking. They are similar in structure to small breed harnesses. Only the width and length of the belts will be larger, and the materials will be stronger. The version with a handle on the back is suitable for older and injured medium-sized dogs.
- For transportation in a car.
Harnesses for dogs of large breeds
For large pets, harnesses are made of more durable materials, in several layers and well-stitched. They are made of high quality leather with reliable carabiners and brass clasps. Due to the fact that dogs of this size are quite strong to prevent unpleasant sensations from jerking, special fabric is inserted into the chest harnesses to reduce pressure. For example, a felt interlayer. There are many varieties of harnesses for large pets.
Harness with weights
They are also called pulling. They are designed for pets, weightlifters to train before preparing for a competition in which the dogs move a weight greater than the weight of the animal over short distances. Thanks to such harnesses, muscle mass develops, the chest is strengthened and the good physical condition of the dogs is maintained, as well as the correct posture is formed, which is necessary for participating in exhibitions.
The structure of such models is special: special struts distribute the load between the muscles of the back, chest and shoulders. The attachment point that creates traction is below the tail. There are special pockets on the belts, in which weights of various sizes can be put. Start with the minimum weight and gradually increase to the required weight as you train.